Who does not warm up with the Microsoft language assistants or has privacy concerns, can disable Cortana. How to do that in the system, Web and group lines of light, we revealed here!
With the Windows 10 Download the user receives the language assistant from Microsoft. Cortana is similar to Siri or Google Now, that takes voice commands receive and process it. The lady, for example, remind you of appointments, reproduce news reports or act as Web search and answer questions about weather, restaurants, etc. but this feature would not everyone use and so many feel may also be monitored or have privacy concerns. So who does not want this way of working and communicating with his device, the software can also be switched off.
disable Cortana: Shutdown in Windows 10
Thus Cortana to work properly, the language assistant requires a lot of information and access rights. At first, the location sharing was one of them, this information is no longer necessary. Still, Cortana collects data. And not everyone wants to simply pass this information to Microsoft. Which also deters many users is the fact that all audio data is stored. Microsoft wants to create personalized speech models based on the data, the information but are also used for advertising.
You do not want to use Cortana? Do you have to either. (Image: Microsoft / pixabay / Editorial)
Those who do not wish Cortana should therefore disable. Previously, you should check that the wizard is active at all but once. This is easily the search box on the bottom left notice in the taskbar. There are three variants can that give an information about what is on and what is not.
- ask me something: Cortana is enabled
- Search the web and Windows: Cortana is disabled, the Web search is enabled
- Browse Windows: Cortana and Web searches are disabled
Who clicked the first time in the search field and is confronted for the first time with Cortana, the program can get rid of quickly. Cortana presents itself first and then asks if you want to use the language assistant. just click No interest at this point - so that the good is not even activated.
What many users goes against the grain: the many more who would like to have Cortana. (Image: Screenshot Microsoft)
The language assistant but already active and you want to disable Cortana, you have several options, depending on unused Windows 10 version:
Cortana disable Windows 10 Home or Pro with Anniversary Update
In Windows 10 and Windows 10 Home Pro after the Anniversary Update Cortana can be shut down via the registry.
- Press the Windows key + R and in the appeared box regedit enter and open.
- To HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Windows Search navigate and right-click there on Windows Search.
- New -> Dword value (32bit) Select.
- Rename the new entry in AllowCortana.
- double-click the entry and set the value to 0.
After that Windows needs to be restarted to apply the changes completely.
So Cortana disabled through Group Policy. (Image: Screenshot Microsoft)
Cortana on Windows shut down 10 Pro or Enterprise
In Windows 10 Pro, the assistant can be disabled via Group Policy:
- Press Again, the Windows key + R, there but gpedit.msc Enter and start.
- There Computer Configuration -> Select Administrative requirements and under Windows Components "search" choose.
- Including the entry AllowCortana is listed, which is selected by double-clicking.
- Set to disabled and press Apply.
After a Windows restart, Cortana no longer wishes to speak.
Everything worked, Cortana is grayed out and no longer answers. (Image: Screenshot Microsoft / Editorial)
disable Cortana in the web browser
Who wants to use Cortana as a support system, browser, but can do without it - no problem. Cortana can be switched off separately for the browser.
- If the browser Edge opened, the user clicks on the top right on the three dots to open the menu.
- There, the settings are selected and you scroll the menu as far down until Advanced settings is displayed. Click on this option.
- Here there is the possibility: Cortana to help me with Microsoft Edge. just set the controller to off and disable Cortana.
Another trick there is for those who do not want to mess around in the registry or Group Policy: Windows Firewall. This works in all versions:
- Press Windows key + R and looking for cmd.exe. The file must be run as an administrator, which works via a right click.
- Following command in the window to copy: netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name ="Cortana block outbound traffic" dir = Out action = block program ="% Windir% \ system apps \ Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy \ SearchUI.exe" enable = yes profile = any
That should Cortana block through the firewall so that they can no longer communicate.